Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

What is this part? removed head. Another tech flipped head

Customer Question

what is this part? removed head. Another tech flipped head over for inspection and this fell out and hit the bench and we have no idea where it came from or where it goes? :)

Category: BMW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

that looks like a drain plug ,

how big is it ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

no not a drain plug.. there are some serrations on the bottom side that might have looked like threads in the picture but they arent threads. Made of aluminum. Conical in shape, about .75 inch wide and about .5 inch tall. If you dont know what it is thats ok but just reopen it to other experts so others can see it. Someone who knows these engines well will probably know what it is as soon as they see it.

Expert:  JayPutelis replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, do you still need assistance?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Yeah still don't know what this thing is

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

hello

that looks like a core plug for the head water jacket

if you look into the head cam chest

there should be several of them along the length of the head just where the head bolts are and they should screw in with some sealent

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hey Matt its a little bigger than those..its stepped/serrated but not threaded..the hex in the center goes all the way thru it..ill try to post some better pics

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Ok

how big is is the part too?

what sort of diameter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Its just shy of an inch at the top, and right on 3/4 inch diameter at the bottom

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

OK

is it item 10 on this webpage

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=GL63-USA-03-2004-E65-BMW-745i&diagId=11_3256

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hey Matt ill definitely rate..apparently my last response didn't come through..no not #10, its larger than that, but main difference is it is not threaded, it is serrated, or stepped, but the marks are not threads...also the piece is aluminum, and it is hollow..i have no idea what the heck this thing is

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hello

OK in that case I'd suggest to use some compressed air to blow air into the oil gallery feed and the water jacket of the head to see if you can find where air is coming out and so identify the location of the plug

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yeah nobody knows what this thing is..not a plug of any kind (its hollow, would not be able to plug much with a hole theough the center), its not threaded, only stepped/serrated (the pic shows good detail), and it is alumimum (which it would not be if it were a oil galley plug)

If but only if we figure it out id be glad to shoot through an accept..