Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

Regarding a 2009 328ix 6 speed manual sedan with 56,000

Customer Question

Regarding a 2009 328ix 6 speed manual sedan with 56,000 miles. Had my local BMW dealer change the oil and do the diagnosis last Tues. Running fine for 80 miles. On Friday (3 days after the oil change) the car lift light came on. The car would not fire up but only shook from side to side with grinding/crunching sounds from under the hood. No smoke. No outpouring of any fluid in the engine bay, under the hood or under the car. Tried to start it up a second time with exactly the same results.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The Motor. It won't start at all. It was running fine one minute and 30 minutes off, followed by the symptoms I just explained to you.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: you need to read my initial message. Everything I can say to you is there...
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Absolutely not. My local BMW dealer has it. They have done nothing as I had it towed to them at 6pm last Friday. I tried to start it twice. Terrible motor clanking. No firing. Motor sounds like an old metal trash can 1/3 full of bolts, being stirred with a metal garden shovel. I'm wondering if they overlooked putting any oil in it during the oil change of last Tuesday? The receipt says yes...
JA: What year is your '56 Sedan?
Customer: We are having rotten communication. Again, GO BACK to my original message and READ IT!
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will get what I wrote to you? I don't want to relive this again and again. Not trying to be snarky or rude to you, Pearl.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Is your question if they could have forgot to putt oil in?