Robert
Robert, UK BMW Mechanic
Experience:  Fully trained 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

Have a 1994 325ci ignition switch is locked and cannot get

Customer Question

have a 1994 325ci ignition switch is locked and cannot get it to turn: some problem or did I do something dumb
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: can turn the week a few degrees, have two key sets and tried them both. battery should be charged but cannot get anything to come on in the car
JA: Are you fixing your 325ci yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: done nothing and do not do my own repairs: wanted to ensure it was not just some simple security disable before I had it taken to a BMW dealer
JA: What is the model of your '94 325ci?
Customer: convertible
JA: What year is your ''94 Convertible?
Customer: 1994
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is my only problem
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..there..

Sounds like classic ignition barrel failure..thats extremely common and well known on all BMW's of that era...so i dont think its anything you have done...you could try spraying some penerating oil into the lock and see if that helps..or with the ball pin of a small hammer try tapping the outside of the lock..if that still doesnt work then im afraid its new barrel and key required..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you: tried those steps after your note with no success. guess it gets towed.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..there..

Im afraid so unless you have good reputable mobile mechanic in your area to come out and do the job for you..that might be something to look into to save ona towing charge

Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Please dont forget to leave a positive rating.before you log out.much appreciated