internal88
internal88, BMW Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Automotive Engineering Degree and also work for an Automotive engineering company since 2003.
63512786

I heard a loud noise, sounds like a fan, my mechanic quoted

Customer Question

I heard a loud noise, sounds like a fan, my mechanic quoted me CAD$1600 to replace the electric pump and heat thermostar, it takes 4-5 days.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: no notification lights is on! should be everything fine, just heard a loud fan noise
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2011 X5
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I brought this car 2 years ago, the extended warranty expired July/2016
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I took it to a auto shop near my office should I take it to dealer for a second quote?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - BMW tech.

That sounds about right. Those electric water pump failed prematurely and create the fan like sound. Do you have the V8 or the 6 cylinders?

The price is in the ball park range. You should always get a quote from a dealer source.