internal88
internal88, BMW Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Automotive Engineering Degree and also work for an Automotive engineering company since 2003.
63512786

2005 bmw x5 when applying the brakes the truck shakes very

Customer Question

2005 bmw x5 when applying the brakes the truck shakes very bad, bought new rotor and had them machined and install new brake pad still having the same problem, not really safe to drive
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 month ago.

Hello,I'm Brandon - BWM expert.

I'd recommend replacing the rotors with brand new factory rotor. Try not to get aftermarket version they tend to use cheap metal that won't last for few miles.

My question is why did you get the rotor machined if they were new?

Also are the brake pads from BMW? Aftermarket brake pad are not recommend for the x5 and it will cause shakes use over time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just a habit of having my rotors machined even if new, no i'm not using bmw parts but immediately after installing them it shakes very badly just like the old parts. What else could cause this to happen only when applying the brakes

I am 99% sure the shakes is due to the uneven surface rotors. You can't see it with your eyes.

Typically I just take a light sand paper and go over the rotor surface for a little bit just get rid of the dirt and oil.

Ideally you want to have factory OEM rotors and brake pad for the best result.

Please rate me positive, Thank you.