Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My check engine light came on when I accelerate it is

Customer Question

my check engine light came on when I accelerate it is sputtering
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2007 328i
JA: Are you fixing your 328i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i tried putting in fuel and carb cleaner with my gas but it just started today
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is all that seems to be happening
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what diagnostics have been carried out?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i haven't done anything. this literally started on my way home. I was just searching the internet for answers and now i am here
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i went to the gas station and the check engine light was on and it was sputters and shakes when i accerlate faster. not so much when i slowly and gradually accerlate. it was also doing this when stopped at a light. i stopped and went into the grocery store and when i came out the light was off and it seemed to run fine. i got home and let it sit for a bit and then decided to see if it was still happening. i then took the car out for a spin and the check engine light was on and it resumed sputtering and shaking. Any ideas of what might be wrong?
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
This suggests an issue with fuel delivery or mixture control. You should not continue to drive the vehicle like this. The first step to verify the cause will be to have the fault logs read from the car using a BMW scan tool. There are many sensors and components that regulate fuel mix so a fault scan is the only way to pinpoint the cause
questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.