FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel
1627031

2006 325i, 95K mi. Car has conked out while at low speed a

Customer Question

2006 325i, 95K mi. Car has conked out while at low speed a few times. Oil warning light comes on from time to time as does 'service engine soon' display. Vehicle has occassional jerking at hwy speeds and sometimes drops down to 2nd and I must pull over and restart car to reset the transmission. Oil is not due for change for another 3000 mi (always use european formula synthetic) but I suspect both oil service and service engine soon lights appear simply because the tech failed to reset the service clock (always forgets). Gear symbol shows up on display that is not found in the literature. I suspect a fuel delivery issue, ignition issue, or transmission fluid issue. Lower on my suspect list is a computer or logic signal issue, a failing sensor, or low oil. Please help. Your expertise is sorely needed!
Category: BMW
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** are a lot of things that can cause this and since the engine light is coming on the first thing I would do would be to scan the computer for codes. If you do not have a code reader most auto parts stores will do this for free. if you bring me the codes it will help. Most of the time when this occurs at low speeds it is caused by a dirty or failing throttle body or possibly a crankshaft position sensor.