peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

I have several questions. Does the 2006 760li have 2

Customer Question

I have several questions. Does the 2006 760li have 2 different computers that have to be read separately when you check the codes. I had Advanced Auto check the codes on my 760li because the check engine light was on. It showed a P2189 code "System Too Lean at idle Bank 2". Their reader did not show anything else, but my mechanic said that he was getting the same reading on Bank 1. The online forums all show this code to commonly be the Crankcase Vent Valves, but because my mechanic is seeing the code on both banks, he does not believe these valves are the source of the problem because they would not both go out at same time. Any thoughts. Also, I actually went ahead and changed the 2 CVV valves. If these were the problem, will this automatically make this code go away, or do I need to reset the computer in order to clear the code?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on
JA: Are you fixing your 760li yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: That is it. I have had work done by a mechanic, but when I got this code and the forums pointed to the CVV's, I replaced them because they are pretty simple.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The only other code that came up was the P0441 which I believe is being caused by the charcoal canister. There has recently been a gas smell in the cabin and trunk, so I think the carbon filter has become saturated. That is it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

There is only one computer that will display the P codes here and it looks like only bank 2 is a big enough issue to set off this code.I suspect you have resolved the fault here already.If it did correct the issue with the repair that you had done then either you can continue to drive the vehicle for up to 2 weeks or more for the computer to see the issue was resolved and the light will go out or you can have a shop or dealer clear the codes with a scan tool to turn off the light right away.If the fault is corrected the light will go out and not come back on for this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete