peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

1999 E39 540i 6spd cranks but doesn't start. Spark was

Customer Question

1999 E39 540i 6spd cranks but doesn't start. Spark was verified and fuel. (Sometimes) new starter, battery, fuel pump relay, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft sensors. Noticed when cranking the RPM needle doesn't move or read crank while starting.
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: I don't think I heard of my car having a fuel pressure sensor..but I've checked fuel from rail Schrader valve. Squirts very strong
JA: Are you fixing your 540i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. And this is a low mileage replacement motor I just installed as well. Car ran before engine replacement.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Possible DME troubleshoot
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have spark and fuel check and see if the spark plugs are wet/fouled out with fuel needing cleaned or replaced.I have seen this cause this fault here with the engine being fouled out with to much fuel.If this is or was checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The spark plugs were replaced with new onesite and checked frequently for flooding. They're in great shape.

Is there an after market alarm or remote start installed at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Negative. All factory parts. The one clue I notice is when Im trying to start the cark, while cranking, the tachometer needle doesn't register cranking speed. The needle remains still. I went and replaced the crankshaft position sensor as well with no positive results. Could the DME relay have anything going to do with it? It's like it's not getting cranking signal it seems.

The rpm needle wont move until its running.You can however observe cranking rpm signal on a scan tools data list.

Is the theft/security light on steady or blinking on the dash near the gauges when it will not start or any theft/security messages displayed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is no theft icon blinking. I have power to starter. My car did register crank speed before it actually fired up. If I'm not mistaken, it would crank ~300rpms before the car actually started. All fuses were inspected and found to be good. New fuel pump and fuel relay installed. Sometimes the fuel pump will engage for two seconds just before you actually engage cranking and sometimes it wont regardless what I do or how long I wait with key off and attempt again. I verified I got 12v during cranking on fuel pump harness. I have a new oem battery as well and starter.

This is a tough one for me to diagnose fully from here myself but others here may be able to help further.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete