peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

1997 bmw 318I new battery, new starter, insert key turn to

Customer Question

1997 bmw 318I new battery, new starter, insert key turn to 1st position, dash board lights, 2nd position all other lights show on dash, start position nothing happens, suspect clutch start lock out since no fuelpump start on 2nd position either but engine cranks when I short out the 2 heavy wires on the EWS 2 relay.
JA: Have you checked the battery's voltage?
Customer: Yes 14.8 Volts
JA: Are you fixing your 318i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, am retired master electrician, getting proper voltages on all ignition switch terminals and power on the transmitter so it seems to recognize the coded key but since this is an intermittent no crank it is hard to diagnose.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, sometimes only getting 9 Volts on the input small data wire on the EWS 2 module behind the glove box and no relay click heard from its relay when trying position 2 on the key
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not had the fault codes checked using a scan tool or computer that will plug in and communicate with all computers on this model here this needs done.If any codes are set they will need diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.This may be a fault with the engine computer itself as I have seen before in some cases.If you can tell me if any codes are set this will help.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete