sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

BMW 323i Has Low Power And In Limp Mode.

Customer Question

Hello
I have a 323i BMW year 2000, 81,000 miles. Had problems with very low power 6 months ago. Found it was in limp mode. I took to repair garage. He checked everything and found the throttle body needed replaced and the ECU was bad. Both have been replaced and I have the car back but the car still sometimes has symptoms of bad ECU again. Switches from running good, to running bad all the time. Mechanic is baffled by how it's acting now. ECU was purchased from BMW and my mechanic programmed it.
Any ideas on the problem?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the engine is going into limp in it's because the engine controller is seeing an issue that could cause damage or a safety concern and is limiting power. There are many possible causes for limp in including electronic throttle control issues, wiring, sensors, cam or crank sensor signal/timing issues, and the engine controller itself although rare.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting and testing can be done from there.
Do you know what codes are currently setting?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not have the codes. I could get them from the mechanic. I have had the car back for 3 days and so far no problems. Somehow I just don't feel everything is 100%. Could you expand a little on the wiring, sensors & signal/timing issues. I would think the ecu is bad since it's a brand new ecu purchased from BMW direct.Another person I talked to mention something about moisture being in the wiring/sensors. Could that cause the now sporadic problems. Thank you
James Keenan

If you can let me know what codes were setting I can give possible causes for the exact problem that was seen.