rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have a 2012 Mini Copper with 76,000 miles on it. I brought

I have a 2012 Mini Copper with 76,000 miles on it. I brought it to the mechanic to get rear brakes changed. They said my serpentine belt was due to be changed (no symptoms of it, but old so I had it done and I have used this mechanic for a couple of years with no problems). This was done on Wednesday. I left the mechanic, and within 2 miles, the new serpentine belt snapped. Total mechanical failure. :-( I They changed the belt free of charge and changed the belt tensioner. I drove the car 12 miles and the belt snapped again. Aaak.
JA: What shape is the serpentine belt in? Is it cracked, shiny, or frayed? And have you ever replaced one?
Customer: Frayed. Melted. Demolished.
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. The same mechanic has replaced. They are coming to tow it to fix a third a time. They have rented me a car. They aren't charging me. I just don't me engine destroyed.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car is extremely well cared for. Never had a problem. I just want to know what to look for. The mechanic is not trying to take my money. They want to fix this as much as I want this fixed. Just scared to drive now.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

I understand your concern, but you now have a legitimate case against them if you need it. Let them do their job this one last time. It seems to me like they installed the belt wrong both times causing it to snap. Let them know how fearful you are of this right now and only want your car back, FIXED right this time or you will need to take other measures.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Ha! I have already done this Ron.I imagine that they know how to install a serpentine belt. This is a fairly common part and this is a very busy garage. I have a BMW certified mechanic working on my car. I am looking for advice on what could be causing the belt to snap other than a belt installed incorrectly. Are there other parts/issues/diagnostics that they should or could be running?

Nope, the clue here is that everything was fine until they replaced it the first time. Just because they provide these qualifications, does not mean they can't make a mistake and misread the belt diagram under the hood. Also, the belt may have been replaced by a lower level tech and NOT the tech you think may have done it.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly appreciate a 5
star rating now and I will still assist you after you have rated me
too if another question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you
until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 22 hours ago.
As it turns out, the friction wheel needed to be replaced. The car is now running/sounds like a champ. All parts and labor where done for free so I believe that this diagnosis is accurate, and a rental car was provided free of charge while work was completed. I don't believe the belt was installed incorrectly.All my best.

Great, please rate me for my time.

Our goal here is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. We may not always
have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but our job is to get you on
the right track, which we always do. We can’t hear, see, smell or
touch your vehicle from where we’re at, so your understanding of
that is greatly appreciated. There are no magical or miraculous
answers, but we do our best to guide you in the right direction.