sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

BMW 745li's Generator Fault Light Is On.

Customer Question

2007 BMW 750LI's belt was replaced last Friday because it was making a whistling/squealing noise. I started the car tonight and the dynamic drive inactive warning light came on. Then the generator fault light came on.
I thought the lights would clear so I tried to drive. I traveled less than a mile when the steering wheel began to lock.
What is the problem?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the battery light was coming on and you were losing power steering at the same time then I suspect that the belt was slipping, which could happen for a number of reasons. It may have been installed incorrectly, the tensioner may be bad, the belt may have been incorrect, there may be something leaking on the belt causing it to lip.
Was the belt making any noise at the time these problems were happening?