Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years Fixing Cars and Trucks
7276279

2014 BMW 328XI Engine Is Locked As Per Dealer.

Customer Question

2014 BMW 328xi engine was 'locked' according to a dealership service. They do not know the reason for that. I have done less than 70K.
The car suddenly went into 'parking' while I was driving on the highway. After it stopped, nobody could start it and nobody could move it into 'neutral'.
What could have happened?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Was the engine oil level full at the time the engine locked?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay if you sure the engine had a proper oil level then something had to have come loose inside of the engine and to know what failed they are going to need to tear the engine down and do an inspection.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I am not a mechanic.
I just what to find out what to do in that case.
Does such things happened to BMW engines? Is there any guarantee on the engine?
And, under normal maintenance condition, what is the normal span of BMW engine life?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.
It is fairly rare for the engine to fail at 70K for sure and not common at all. Its not uncommon to get over 200K out of these engines. Unfortunately its not likely going to be covered by warranty but you may want to try and get them to assist you in the cost of this repair. In some cases they will. There is really no way to know why it failed with out doing the tear down.
Hopefully they will help you with the cost of this repair.