Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My e60 has a vibration when is idle, the dumpener was

Customer Question

Hi, my e60 has a vibration when is idle, the dumpener was replaced like in bulletin it fixed but after 1 year the problem come back, do i need to replca it agan or what it could be the problem
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
What pamper was replaced ? What was the part number?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Service Bulletin 18 02 08 CAUSE
Insufficient vibration dampening of the exhaust system.PROCEDURE
1.Verify the complaint. Vibration/droning is most prevalent when engine is at operating temperature.2.Remove the lower bracket for the exhaust system. If droning/vibration is gone, proceed to step three. If vibration/droning still exists with the lower bracket removed; continue troubleshooting exhaust/driveline for other causes or conditions3.Remove complete bracket assembly and replace it with the bracket (1) PN 18 20 7 521 346 using two new ASA bolts (PN 07 12 9 905 417. Tighten to 21Nm.
Install front pipe bracket (1) PN 18 20 7 521 347 with four rubber bushings (2) (PN 18 20 7 546 579) to the new 346 bracket with two ASA bolts (PN 07 12 9 904 559) and two nuts (PN 07 12 9 904 580). Tighten down to 21Nm
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
It is either that same problem again or a bad motor mount. Both should be inspected
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The worst of the vibration is happening when idle jumping i showed this video to dealeship and they dont know what it is i heard if you rise the rpm a little it fixed the problem for a lot of people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Z_veLjOhc
Expert:  Steve replied 8 months ago.

Please do not forget to CLICK ON a positive rating

hi, my answer remains the same. I would suspect and damper or engine mount.

raising the idle only masks the issue, doesn't fix it.