TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

I have a Mini S and I purchased a new key fob and want to

Customer Question

I have a Mini Cooper S and I purchased a new key fob and want to know how to get it to open and close the locks?
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: It is brand new.
JA: What year is your MINI?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I have tried the programming via key position 1 and position two instructions I found on forums.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have two older fobs that I replaced batteries and tried programming without success.
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have the bar code tag with serial numbers of the key.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can a code reader or smartphone based app with wireless code tool be used to add key?
Expert:  TIM MOHR replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you at the vehicle right now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  TIM MOHR replied 5 months ago.

I tried to accept the phone call request, but it said the credit card payment failed??

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just used it to pay the deposit.
Expert:  TIM MOHR replied 5 months ago.

some times the credit card company sees 2 charges, one for the deposit and one for the phone calls, and thinks there is fraud, can you call them?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My daughter just took the car to school so I will have to try whatever instructions you can provide, that I have not already tried, later.
Expert:  TIM MOHR replied 5 months ago.

ok, below is the procedure for programming the fob, make sure you follow it exactly, and it will program it properly,Tim

1. Have all the keys on you when you get into the car.

2. Get in and shut the doors (don't open them until your finished programing)

3. Put a key in the ignition and turn to the first click, then back and take the key out all within 5 seconds

4. Now hold down the unlock button, while holding it down press the lock button 3 times, then release the unlock button, the doors should lock and unlock. DON'T touch the doors or door locks yet.

5. Repeat action 4 for any other keys

6. Once you've finished doing this to all the keys you can open the door or put a key in the ignition to finish the programming.

7. Try the lock and unlock with the keys, they should work, if they don't try again, the sequence is critical

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
like I said in the initial request for help I already tried both sets of instructions that use Key position 1 and position 2 as detailed below.If your key/remote wont unlock/lock your doors, try this:1. Have all the keys on you when you get into the car.2. Get in and shut the doors (don't open them until your finished programing)3. Put a key in the ignition and turn to the first click, then back and take the key out all within 5 seconds4. Now hold down the unlock button, while holding it down press the lock button 3 times, then release the unlock button, the doors should lock and unlock. DON'T touch the doors or door locks yet.5. Repeat action 4 for any other keys6. Once you've finished doing this to all the keys you can open the door or put a key in the ignition to finish the programming.7. Try the lock and unlock with the keys, they should work, if they don't try again, the sequence is critical. If you cant get them to work a trip to the dealer will be happening. It worked for me good luck.If that doesn't work, try this:1. Get in car and close doors.2. Insert key into ignition.3. Turn key almost to the point of starting and back 4 times.4. Remove key.5. Hold down the "unlock" button on the key and push the center "lock" button on the key three times, releasing the unlock button on the key as you release the last of the three "lock" pushes.The doors should lock and unlock. All done.These did not work and as I explained in the request for more info are there other things I can do? I want to avoid the dealer if possible due to the distance I have to travel.
Expert:  TIM MOHR replied 5 months ago.

if that procedure does not work, then either the new fob you got is defective, or there is a problem with the computer, have tried programming it with the original key and fob? did reprogram with them?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
failed with all three keys.
Expert:  TIM MOHR replied 5 months ago.

then you will need to have it programmed with a scanner, the dealer can do this, but we use mobile locksmiths to come to the car and program them, our local locksmith charges 70 dollars to cme the car and do this, the dealer gets over 200 dollars, and yo have to take it to them, but if thise procedures dont work, then this is your only option,Tim

Expert:  TIM MOHR replied 5 months ago.

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Through reading various forums and message boards I have learned that there are two wireless receivers in the 2004 Mini Cooper S. One is located above the headliner in the roof located above the rear view mirror and a second one in between the head liner and roof behind the moon roof. There is a plastic cover in the headliner above the rear seats and there is a wire with a flat 4 or 5 wire plastic connector that is not attached to anything. Plastic cover has Clips inside that look clearly like they're supposed to secure a rectangular box of some sort. What is supposed to be attached to the wire? Also there is a small rectangular box of some sort electronic that's attached to the roof or a bracket attached to the roof of the car near where and the antenna is located. How do I test to make sure that the car is receiving the signal from the keys? I have pictures but I was able to take of the Box up in roof of the car.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What happened to my followup question listed above? I have not rated this support request because my followup question has been unanswered since October 07, 2016. The only info contained in the responses, to my questions, that was "new" was the recommendation to call a locksmith as opposed to the dealer. I was expecting something more for my nearly $30 paid in advance. Will I get a response to the above questions from 10-07-2016?
Expert:  TIM MOHR replied 5 months ago.

You did not rate me, so you have not paid anything, you just have the deposit, I cannot help further, since I am not getting credit for the original questions, I will opt out and see if another expert is willing to help,Tim