Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican

I have a 2006 BMW 530i. Have gone through 3 alternators in 1

Customer Question

I have a 2006 BMW 530i. Have gone through 3 alternators in 1 year, replaced water pump, thermostat, battery, A/C compressor, and recentlyn while driving I got all the lights on dash, transmission limp mode (red) kicked on. pulled over shut car off. waited a few minutes tried to start and nothing happened. Lights turned on on dash when turned key but when try to start there is silence. Towed back to house. Tore it apart and replaced the crankshaft position sensor and starter. put everything back together, turned the key and it started. Shut it off. Tried to start again and nothing. Transmission still in limp mode as well. I am sure this is an electrical issue but I just don't know where to start. Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you!!
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 19 days ago.

It sounds like a engine ground strap issue. First I would visual inspect the ground strap for green corrosion or rust it is on the driver side near the engine mount, give it a tug to make sure it is not brittle. I would then connect jumper cables from the engine block and the ground post under the hood.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok I'll definitely check that. But could that be the case if after installing the starter and crankshaft position sensor the car started right up? We let it run for a few minutes then turned it off to finish putting all other pieces back together under the hood. Tried starting it up about 30 minutes later and got nothing. Just wondering.
Expert:  Kenny replied 19 days ago.

You might have disturbed the wire or it just made decent contact for awhile.