Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

TRANSMISSION PROBS. 2003 BMW 330I E46 AUTOred cog and P on

TRANSMISSION PROBS. 2003 BMW 330I E46 AUTOred cog and P on display. car goes in reverse but limps and very slow in drive. 3 weeks ago i replaced, air filter , oil and filter, expansion tank and coolant (bmw coolant) and cleaned mass air flow sensor My car has 110000 miles. My car has an automatic transmission.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

Sound you have low line pressure internally

did you experience slippage prior

what is the mileage

trans fluid been checked or serviced ?

you will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes to be accurate ,if you do get it scanned you can post them back here so i can help further

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
THIS IS MY DAUGHTERS CAR AND SHE SAID SHE REALLY DIDNT NOTICE ANY SYMPTOMS. I ALSO JUST RECEIVED TRANS FILTER AND KIT AND WAS PLANNING TO PERFORM THIS WEEKEND. CAN I PURCHASE THIS SCANNER CODE READER? THANKS! -ERIC
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
SEE MILEAGE ABOVE
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
SAY CHAD I NOTICE YOUR CERTS A6, A7 ARE FOR ELECTRONICS, HEATING AND AIR. DO YOU HAVE A2 CERTS?

you will need a European software vehicle capable scanner to read it , the $100 one are only OBDII engine codes , not helpful here

fluid, filter & scanning to move forward on troubleshooting .

not I dont have it , i can opt out for you for another expert if you looking for one that has it , you will have to search for one i m not sure which one does , but i know about these cars :)

but what ever you like no issue .just let me know and i can opt out of the question

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
PLEASE I PREFER TO OPT OUT FOR A TRANSMISSION BMW SPECIALIST. THANK YOU!

have you had the car scanned for transmission codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No but I ordered a scanner yesterday FOB is Riverside and I live in San Diego so I'm hoping for delivery tomorrow as soon as I find out what those codes are I'll let you know

ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Steve sorry delay but i have error codes see attached pics. thanks!
-eric
/Users/ericnajarro/Desktop/Unknown-1.jpeg
/Users/ericnajarro/Desktop/Unknown-2.jpeg
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if you were not able to open attachments please reply with an email i can send to thanks!-eric
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i tried again and appears they sent. please confirm. thanks!
-eric

this is a known issue and bmw has issued guidance:

you should check the transmission fluid. if the fluid is good, replace the TCC solenoid. if the fluid is burnt, replace or rebuild the transmission.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok so 3 weeks ago I took to a mechanic he plugged in scanner and showed me all these codes (can't remember what they were) he then erased codes and car ran perfectly fine. In fact he drove it from my house to his shop where he replaced trans fluid and filter.
My daughter has been driving the car without problems ever since.So what do the codes mean that I sent in the 2 attached files??

the code definitions are shown? do you want to know possible causes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
remember you asked me if I used scanner to diagnose and I told you I was going to send you error codes as soon as I received my scanner by mail?? What do codes mean and causes so I can fix. Thanks

first code: bad o2 sensor or mixture issue (lean or rich)

second code: bad o2 sensor

third code: bad plug or coil in cyl 5

fourth code: bad o2 sensor or mixture issue (lean or rich)

fifth code: bad ABS module or failing wheel speed sensors

sixth code: as described above RE transmission.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One last question. So the problem that prompted this whole inquiry with car not shifting into lower gears - is that some sort of safe mode this car has?
it is. When there is a transmission fault the car locks in high gear as a failsafe mode. Please take care to positively rate my answer as there is more than one expert on this thread. Thank you
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert