peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.

All the windows will not go up or down and the mirrors I

Customer Question

All the windows will not go up or down and the mirrors I have a 2007 BMW X3
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes I got in the car it's the first time this has ever happened
JA: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I found the fuse box
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet it just happened when I was driving I do know where the fuse box is in the glove compartment and I plan to fix this myself hopefully
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 20 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do the mirrors or windows make any noise at all when trying to operate them?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Nothing. ..they are dead
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Everything else works ..except the windows and the mirrors. ..they are dead on all the switches

O.k.,I will take a look for some bulletins and electrical info on this system here.I will post back here shortly.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I'm sure it is a fuse or relay in just need to know which one

O.k.,the mirrors and windows are controlled by the General control module.This is a very common component that fails out of the blue like this here.It is so common there are companies that will actually rebuild yours instead of having it replaced.They will usually also walk you through removal and installation for it.Below is a link to one of these facilities that can repair your general control module.If this occurred out of the blue and nothing was used when it occurred and with the very common fault of this module this isnt a fuse or relay fault.The general control module has built in relays for these functions here to control the windows and various other electronics.Some of these electronics are listed in the website info below.I have had to either have this repaired to correct this issue or removed and replaced to correct this fault here in the past before several times.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
It's called a "general control module"
Where can I buy this part?

You would need to purchase it new from a dealer or in some cases you can purchase it rebuilt from the company I listed above in the link I provided.But it is a "general control module".

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
can i buy it used? would you suggest that?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
is this it?

That is the module.You will need to have it programmed/coded by a dealer or authorized repair center after install.

Thanks Pete