peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.

2006 325 Ci w/ 67k miles... All of a sudden when I start it

Customer Question

2006 325 Ci w/ 67k miles... All of a sudden when I start it shuts right back down. It will run if I hold the throttle open but as soon as I take my foot off the gas it shuts off. Also noticed a foul odor at exhaust that I haven't before and a buzz under the hood on the drivers side right next to the firewall.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Turn the key and it starts right up but immediately shuts off.
JA: Are you fixing your 325 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It just started yesterday after sitting for a couple weeks.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 19 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all using a fully compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No fault codes. The car has been running perfectly. It has been sitting in the garage for a couple weeks and when I started it up to take it out yesterday I noticed that it was idling rough. Pulled out and when down the drive and it shut off at the stop sign. Was able to start it back up and keep patting the gas to get it back to the house. Just tried to start it this morning and it shuts off immediately every time.

Will it always stay running if you feather or operate the gas pedal or is it not staying running now either on its own or when messing with the gas pedal?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
It will run if i keep the gas pedal pressed but I soon as I take my foot off the pedal it shuts off.

Did the battery die out at all needing a jump start or was the battery disconnected or replaced before this issue occurred here?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Battery did not die. Never been jump started. Battery not disconnected or replaced recently.

O.k.,I do not suspect you need a throttle valve relearn since the battery did not die out or disconnected or replaced.In some cases this has to be done with a fully compatible scan tool to correct this issue here but usually this only needs done if the throttle valve is replaced or the battery has died out or was disconnected or replaced.This usually takes less then 15 minutes to have done with a scan tool that can do this that most shops or dealers can do.

With the buzz noise occuring as well as the idle not operating on its own this can indicate a fault with the throttle valve itself.I have seen this fail before causing this issue.The computer may be trying to compensate to keep the engine running adding more fuel causing the smell you have from the exhaust itself.

I would first see if you can get the throttle valve recalibrated with a compatible scan tool and see if this resolves the issue and if this does not work then I suspect the throttle valve itself needs replaced.This would need tested further to be sure this is the cause here and will require a compatible scan tool to check the throttle valve signals and perform function tests to see if it has failed.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete