Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

Mybmw x5 wont open the key turns but doesnt work the hood is

Customer Question

hi mybmw x5 wont open the key turns but doesnt work the hood is open but nothing else
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: im locked out completely of the car, except the hood
JA: What year is your X5?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes by myself nothing i tried turning the key but nothing happens
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats pretty much it, im locked out my 2005 x5 is locked, the key doesnt work, the buttons for the key doesnt work, but the hood of the car is open
Category: BMW
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds a lot like the battery has discharged. The first thing to do here is obtain the services of someone with battery jumper cables to attach their vehicle's battery to your vehicle's battery. If the battery in your car is discharged, and is causing the problem, the additional voltage provided by the other vehicle (connected to your vehicle) should restore the functionality to your buttons to unlock the car.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but the battery is in the back of the vehicle, which i have no access to
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my battery isnt dead. it was working fine i locked the car and went back to go inside the vehicle and the key turned but would not open the van
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the buttons on my key stopped working months ago, ive just been using the actual key to close and open,... but now the key doesnt open it at all. and i am locked out.. i can see the little red light flashing in the car which means the alarm is active. it was only by chance i had left the bonnet open.

If the key is not engaging the unlock function, and the buttons are inoperative, your next step would be to contact a locksmith. Those people have specialized tools that wan manipulate the rod or arm that the key in the door moves to unlock the car. You will not be able to unlock this car any other way if the key and the buttons are both inoperative. After the locksmith gets the car open for you, take the car to a service facility to have them determine if the unlock rod is disconnected form the back of the door key cylinder.