Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

My e36 convertible top wont move from half way up. The boot

Customer Question

Hi, my e36 convertible top wont move from half way up. The boot cover is closed. Is there a manual way to get it open
JA: What year is your Convertible?
Customer: 1998
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just pushing the electric up down switch.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 24 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

Emergency actuation of convertible top: - Open side windows and left door. - Push left front seat forwards and fold down. NOTE: No-one must be sitting on the rear seat at this time.

- The release lever is located at the left under the rear bench seat in position (1) (rest position). If necessary, lift up rear bench seat. - Pull release lever forwards with grip into position (2) until both drive units disengage audibly. - After being released, the release lever returns to position (3). Caution! When drive units are disconnected, only drive with convertible top closed (it is then not possible to lock the convertible top lid). The convertible top lid and convertible top can now move freely.

Please let me know ,if that what you looking for

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnicia