Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

My Mini is a 2008, turbo. I'm so sad it just stopped working

Customer Question

My Mini Cooper is a 2008, turbo. I'm so sad it just stopped working today. It stalled all the way home.
We barely made it. I had it check ups, oil changes, etc. and they are fine. Why does it stall? Do I need new tires?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

hello

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or moreof the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revsand the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode isintended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will readoff the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is moreserious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.