JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

I am having an intermittent rough idle. It dips to about

Customer Question

I am having an intermittent rough idle. It dips to about 400, then revs up quickly to almost 1000. Lather, rinse, and repeat. But, not all the time... I just had the valve cover gasket replaced, alternator replaced, oil cooler gasket, oil filter housing gasket, and several hoses...
JA: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?
Customer: Intermittent.
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2006 530xi, 6 speed manual.
JA: Are you fixing your 530xi yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced alternator, valve cover gasket, oil cooler gasket, oil filter housing gasket, several hoses, coolant tank, and battery.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
Do any warning lights come on?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well, maybe, and maybe not. After the alternator replacement, I got intermittent 4X4 malfunction errors, which have been clear since I replaced the battery and reset the steering wheel servo sensor. I did get ONE yellow error saying my oil temp was high, but that also has not happened again, and the oil was objectively not hot.
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 2 months ago.
Hi, has the vehicle already been looked at by the shop that did the work after the repairs were done?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did the valve cover gasket, etc., and it's been to the shop to have the alternator replaced. I was told I need a new a/c compressor, too, due to a bearing in the compressor going. So, I'm not sure if that might have some affect on this issue or not...

Did they scan the vehicle for error codes while it was there?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not that they told me.
The issue could be an intake leak, especially with all those repairs being made at the same time. The first step would be to have the error codes read out, if the shop already did that can you get the error codes from them?