sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2007 bmw m5 with 62000 miles I just had the smg

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2007 bmw m5 with 62000 miles I just had the smg pump, dsc unit, alternator and new clutch done from a bmw dealer under a extended warranty. I was driving the car earlier then a engine malfunction, reduce speed, and increased emissions warnings on Idrive. I have these fault codes 520b, 520a, 2b3d, 2b57 and 2796. I just installed a new axle back exhaust it. I have only put 140miles on since all the repairs have been done and exhaust has been on the for the past 85 miles or so.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No slippage or trouble shifting
JA: Are you fixing your M5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I haven't tried anything except remove the negative battery terminal I was thinking maybe the ecu needed to reset for the new exhaust
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it.
Category: BMW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The first thing you're going to want to do is clear the codes and see what comes back. It's possible there are multiple issues but it's not likely that multiple problems would start at once. Can you clear the codes with a scan tool or battery disconnect and see what comes back?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi I have cleared the all the codes they come by a few minutes later. Do think the axle back performance exhaust caused the issues?

The only code I have reference for is the 2b3d. What modules are you finding the rest of these in?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well I scanned the DME I got 2796 and 2b57 and when I scanned the smg I got the 520a and 520b

Do you have the actual P code numbers?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I have but I can send you screen shots of the Trouble codes and what they say.

I'll need the actual P code numbers from the ECM and TCM. They will start with a P and have four numbers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This what the Dtcs says when I scanned Smg
520b transfer box (vtg): line disconnection, terminal 30
520a transfer box (vtg): over voltage, terminal 30
This what the Dtcs says when I scanned the DME
2b3d misfire with cutoff, cyl. 9
2b57 air-mass sensor, plausibility
2796 throttle actuator-test, lower stop.

The only code out of these that I have reference for is the misfire code as I mentioned. I need to know the P code numbers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The scan tool I have only does these generic codes. What scan tool would get work to get the actual P codes.

The generic codes are what I'm after, these are proprietary codes that I have no reference for even in the factory service information. The standard generic OBDII reporting form for codes on any vehicle 1996 and later are P codes. Any code reader should report this way. You can have codes read for free at most big chain parts stores if yours will not display P codes for some reason.