Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

Bmw will crank but wont start..new bmw keys I think the EWS

Customer Question

bmw will crank but wont start..new bmw keys I think the EWS is not sending a signal to start maybe?
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: yes, fuel pump works, spark plugs work
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 330xi 2003
JA: Are you fixing your 330xi yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fixing it myself..everything was good ..than I had to reprogram the EWS for the new keys...worked great...cleaned everything up and now the keys will crank but wont start..
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just let him know that the ews will let me crank/start the car via the new keys but it wont send a signal to the engine to start
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What question can I answer for you about this?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
step 1: 2 new BMW keys...both programed and cut to fit..so key fob works all factory functions work.
step 2: Car wont crank...found out I need to program the keys to EWS
step 3: Used AK90+ to program EWS
step 4: Success with one key starting the car, one key did not.
step 5: reprogramed the EWS again to make sure I didn't miss a step with key #2.
Step 6: Both keys will now just crank the car but the car will not start.I'm pretty sure the EWS is letting the keys security function at least part way but for some reason it wont let the car start. I don't think its a fuel pump issue or sparkplug after just working 5 min. ago
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just read that continuing small starts without long drives may flood the engine. I did at least 40 in the past week without moving the car. I will check the sparkplugs today and see what condition they are in. fuel pump is making noise so I will leave that alone. There is a lot of electrical wires with tape on them under the drivers side dash (may have been from a security/remote start/push start/etc from previous owners) will check relays and fuses on passenger side and under the hood on engine management just incase I did something while playing with the EWS
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.

have you checked for spark or fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried doing the ghetto spark plug test (screwdriver to ground) as I don't have an inline spark plug tester or near an auto parts store. No spark. I did put a few drops of oil (before I did the test) in each spark plug opening to see if flooding of gas caused a fuel wash on the cylinders for compression issues if any. No effect. I did read that the ews has to send a signal to the starter and the fuel pump. I haven't tested the fuel pump. I hear noises like most cars in the rear of the car, but this car has so much electrical I couldn't be sure.
I will have to pull the rear seat up and check the passenger side for the fuel pump. No idea how to check the fuel pressure, I hear it's like 42 psi when it comes out so I need to be careful if I do