Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

2007 3 series BMW ticking sound in passengers side of engine

Customer Question

2007 3 series BMW ticking sound in passengers side of engine compartment under the hood, not sure exactly which part is making the ticking, but definitely coming from under hood, not sure if it is a valve, spring, or what, what can I do to further help solve the ticking noise?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.
What has been checked so far?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
fluid lvls are correct, service is up to date, oil is fine, sound goes away with higher rpms...
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

I would recommend removing the belts and running the car briefly with the belts off to make sure the issue is not one of the belt driven components.

next would be revving the car to 4000 rpm in neutral and holding it there for a few min. if the noise goes away then this points to the lifters as the cause.

from there I would use a mechanic's stethoscope to try and further pinpoint the source.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.