Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I dont know if is the thermostat or the water pump fail?

Customer Question

i dont know if is the thermostat or the water pump fail?
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: first i have a a increase battery discharge sign came out and then the engine too hot to drive sign
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 2007 bmw 525i
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i havent do anything because im not sure if it is the water pump or the thermostat but yes i will do it my self
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats aLL
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what exactly is your question about this? I am not clear on what info you are seeking?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
well i have a 2007 525i bmw and i got a message of increase battery discharge after that i got another message of engine temperature to high then engine overhaeting .is it any way that because of the first message my thermosta or water pump fail?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

it is posisble that a faulty water pump or thermostat could cause battery discharge, but it is not terribly common.

if you do not have a coolant leak or low coolant level, it would be advisable to replace both the thermostat and water pump (they are normally replaced together as a best practice that is pretty strictly followed).

to verify the cause of the overheat and/or the battery message, you would need to have the fault logs read from the car using a BMW scan tool. The water pump is very common to fail on this model and if you have not had it replaced you are overdue to replacing it, along with the thermostat is going to be a good idea regardless.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.
if there are no additional questions please kindly CLICK ON a positive rating