Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2007 x3 0si only sometimes wont crank, wont start,

Customer Question

2007 x3 0si only sometimes wont crank, wont start, insturment lights come on, then after it sits for about an hour it starts up perfect
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: there are working
JA: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new batt
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am a retired mech. But this is beyond me.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what is the vin?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
WBXPC93437WF21042
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How long is the ans. wait time?
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

hi sorry for the delay. what exactly does the car do when you try to start it? does it turn over but not fire? does it just make clicking noises? does it do nothing at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The instrument cluster lights come on only, no sounds at all.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It only does this about once a month
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

there are a lot of different things that can cause this as there are a number of dependencies that must be met before the car will start - key must be present, trans must be in park or neutral and sending the correct signal that it is, immobilizer must be working, foot must be on brake and signal sent confirming this, etc.

.

so, your issue could be any of these items playing up intermittently. However, I would suspect most likely that you are experiencing early signs of starter failure. The starters are notorious on the engine that you have in your X3 and if it is original you are due for a replacement.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Starter is new, also have a new key, all of the other things you mentioned I allready new. I know you did your best, ***** ***** help. Can I get a refund? Thanks