Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

I need to replace the battery in my 2011 BMW 328ix -- am

Customer Question

I need to replace the battery in my 2011 BMW 328ix -- am being told that there were two different batteries installed by the factory, and that the shop would have to look at the car to determine which one it is before decided which new one to install and before giving me an estimate.....
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I keep getting a "battery charge low" indicator light on when I turn the car off, but haven't gotten out and locked it. It's a 2011 with the original factory battery
JA: Are you fixing your 325ix yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will fix it myself if possible - so far I have just talked to 2 different independent shops in town
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what is the vin?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
looking that up now
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
WBAPK5C57BF122154I think this is the VIN#
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I wrote in that I have a 328 ix, looks like the first person responding to me, JA, came back with a comment that I had a 325ix -- see able...
This is a 328ix
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
see above
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think I lost you ...heading into a meeting now; I'll be back at 12:30pm
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

thanks for the vin and apologies for the slight delay.

what exactly was the question you had about this? I am not sure what information you are looking for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a light that comes on when I turn the car off, but before I have gotten out of the car and locked it "battery charge level low". It's a 2011 bmw 328ix and it has the original factory battery..... That tells me that it needs a new batter...
However, I'm hearing two different stories from two different independent bmw service shops -- I want to know if I can change out the battery myself, and if I do, what risks am I taking? One shop told me that until they look at it they don't know which battery the factory installed, nor which battery they would need to install to replace the old one.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

when the battery is changed on this car the computer needs to be updated to charge and monitor the new battery properly, which cannot be done at home. so, if you change the battery yourself you risk it not being properly charged and/or having a shorter life than it otherwise would. You will be looking at about $300 all in for this regardless of battery.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.