FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel

Just looking for a reasonable second opinion - engine light

Customer Question

just looking for a reasonable second opinion - engine light so took to local BMW dealer. Quoted replacement eccentric shaft/actuator, gaskets, etc + labor for $ 3250. is that reasonable?
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: its a 2011 535i....first time dealing with this. No noticeable performance problems to date.
JA: Are you fixing your E250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ? i don't understand the question. the car is at the shop, i just got the quote and i'm uncomfortable coughing up 3250 without a reasonable second opinion
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: umm, nothing I know of. Just that the engine light came on and i took it right over to the BMW dealership.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.
Hello, my name is***** that is the problem then that is a reasonable dealership repair cost for that issue. You can usually get the work done cheaper at an independent repair facility but you want to make sure that they specialize in BMW. Did they happen to give you the code number from the computer?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm looking at the quote to see if there are fault codes....I don't see repair codes.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.
It should show it somewhere in their diagnosis. It should say something about scanned codes or retrieved.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No just a list of part numbers and labor estimate - no fault codes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 month ago.
If I had the fault codes I could verify what I thought was the issue. They are probably correct though. This is a common issue. Most of the time you can save about $500+ at an independent shop. If you have the car you can get the codes scanned at most auto parts stores and bring me the codes.