Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

AC is blowing sometimes and sometimes not, no, 02 530i, I am

Customer Question

AC is blowing sometimes and sometimes not
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 02 530i
JA: Are you fixing your 530i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am planning to, just researching to so far, I saw one comment saying low freon may cause the fan to not blow, that is true?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: BMW
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. I would absolutely say that the first thing to do would be to check and adjust the refrigerant level. It is absolutely correct that an incorrect refrigerant level (high or low) will cause the compressor not to actuate and if that is what is happening, it will also not allow the condenser fan to actuate due to inoperative a/c.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it likely that the refrigerant was at one point borderline, was high enough to accuate the fan and compressor, and sometimes not? now it is low enough that it is not accuating the fan ever? It cut out on me one day over 2 months ago. I thought "oh that is troubling" Then next day it worked "I thought that is troubling but can wait, let's see if was fluke (doubtful)" That's what makes me think electrical or a mechanical part dying a slow death. The refrigerant idea is interesting, and cheapest sounding....I wouldn't want to be hopeful.
ThEd most likely scenario is that the refrigerant level is low but it is possible that there is an electrical problem. The refrigerant level, however, will have to be verified before any other testing can be done

Hi, this is Josh checking in for an update...

I also want to remind you to please take a moment to rate my service if you were pleased with my help. Thanks!

Hi, this is Josh checking in for an update. I also would like to remind you to please take a moment to rate my service. Thanks!