JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  12 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

Transfailsafe mode came on last week and has no turned off.

Customer Question

Transfailsafe mode came on last week and has no turned off. It is very annoying. My service engine soon came on as well. I did an oil change change checked my battery and alternator. Everything is good. I dont know what to do or how to turn that off.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
what diagnostics have been carried out?
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a diagnostic tool and the codes p0172 and p0175 came up wich are codes for banks 1 and 2 coming up rich. And also code p0101.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i checked my emisions rediness and it shows o2 sensor not ready and catylic converter not ready.
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
.

P0101 is a code for a failed mass airflow sensor, which would cause a rich running condition. I would suggestyou replace your mass airflow sensor.

as for transmission failsafe, this can be caused by a failed airflow sensor, but could also be entirely unrelated - the warning only means a transmission-impacted fault has been sensed. If the failsafe issue does not resolve with a new airflow sensor, a BMW scan tool (not a p code reader) will need to be used to read the faults from the transmission.

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I first cleaned my MAF but nothing changed. So i bought a new one and still nothing changed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I heard that i should look at my long term and short term fuel trim to see if theres a possible 02 sensor issue but im not for sure. Ltft is at 0 and short term is -24. Does that make any sense??
Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

that would have been relevant information to have been provided with

Expert:  Steve replied 4 months ago.

I will open your question to other experts

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ummm i dont understand but alright. Thanks!
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 4 months ago.
Hi there, do you still need assistance? If so, can you provide the last 7 digits of your VIN of the vehicle and approximate mileage?Thanks, JP
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. Sorry for the late responce. Last 7 of vin is.
Ly29866
Mileage is about 142,000
What brand MAF did you use for replacement? If unsure, where was it purchased from at least? What air filter does the vehicle have installed, condition?
Is your scan tool capable of clearing adaptation values, since it can at least read themThanks, JP
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I bought it from auto zone. New duralast
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The air filter was replaced also. It looked ok but i just wanted to be sure. Yes it can clear codes but the trans failsafe warning on dash can not be cleared. Im guessing because the problem that made it come on has not been resolved. I was thinking it might be my 02 sensors but i dont really know how to tell if they are bad or not. Someone told me to look at my fuel trim.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh u asked if it can clear adaptation values? Im not sure.
The biggest problem is clearing the adaptation values. The MAF could have and likely was your issue, but since the adaptation value is so far out of range, just clearing the code the light will set again because the engine does not have enough time to readapt itself to the new part. So it sets the light again. Try leaving the ignition on, then unplugging the MAF for about a minute, then plug it back in. Cycle the ignition and recheck what the fuel trim values are. This will most times "force" them to set to zero which is what we want. Then you should be able to clear the code and drive if for a while and see if the faults return.