Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

Car does not start? I got code 2F44

Customer Question

Car does not start? I got code 2F44
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

hi, what question would you like answered about this? did you want to know causes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What can I check, or do to start the car?
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement. If you are on a subscription you must still select a positive rating to credit your expert but will not be charged anything additional beyond you subscription rate to do so.

this is an immobilizer tampering code. you can unhook the battery for an hour to attempt to reset the immobilizer, and you can try a second key, but most likely the immobilzer will need to be reset with a factory BMW scan tool. Sorry if you were hoping for a simpler answer, but I trust that my honest answer is appreciated. Thank you for ensuring a positive rating is selected

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I insert the smart key in the instrument cluster shows Message key detected.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

then the problem isn't likely the key (that was a long shot anyways, but something worth trying). the key and immobilizer are different. my answer stands - the immobilzer needs to be reset with a factory BMW scan tool. Please kindly take the time to CLICK ON a positive rating to ensure I receive credit for my time and answer. thank you