Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Car does not start? I got code 2F44

Car does not start? I got code 2F44

hi, what question would you like answered about this? did you want to know causes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What can I check, or do to start the car?

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement. If you are on a subscription you must still select a positive rating to credit your expert but will not be charged anything additional beyond you subscription rate to do so.
.

this is an immobilizer tampering code. you can unhook the battery for an hour to attempt to reset the immobilizer, and you can try a second key, but most likely the immobilzer will need to be reset with a factory BMW scan tool. Sorry if you were hoping for a simpler answer, but I trust that my honest answer is appreciated. Thank you for ensuring a positive rating is selected

.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I insert the smart key in the instrument cluster shows Message key detected.

then the problem isn't likely the key (that was a long shot anyways, but something worth trying). the key and immobilizer are different. my answer stands - the immobilzer needs to be reset with a factory BMW scan tool. Please kindly take the time to CLICK ON a positive rating to ensure I receive credit for my time and answer. thank you