peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Rear self leveling, 06 x5, originally the rear left side was

Customer Question

rear self leveling
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: 06 x5
JA: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: originally the rear left side was all the way down, purchase and installed new
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: did not immediately pump up but next morning as I drove at about 3 miles the error message stopped and light on the switch light
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: road for about 20 mins now both sides are completely down
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
After doing a large amount of reading on the internet I saw a post that the level sensor signal uses the headlight circuit. That made me remember that a couple of days before the problem started my headlight would not automatically come on when I started the car and it was dark outside. I had to use the manual setting. Seems I need to start a replacing the sensor on the left side. Hope I haven't done any additional damage. How can I manually check the compressor to ensure it is working. Should I hear the pump running. I assume it is the same pump for the front which I have no problems with. I there a valve that keeps air in the line for the tires and only pumps when sensor says it is low. So is it possible the front is okay because of that design but yet because there is a problem with the pump it will did not inflate the new air bag i installed on the left back, the location of the original problem?
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes read out to see what codes are set.This needs done with a scan tool that is fully compatible with your model that can plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.It may be a faulty level sensor sending incorrect signals all of the time or intermittently needing replaced.It may also be a fault with the compressor itself.Having the codes checked will help in locating and repairing this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would agree that the level sensor should be replaced. I have ordered and waiting delivery along with new rear air struts.
thanks

O.k.,if you have not had the fault codes checked in all computers this needs done as well to see what codes are set with this issue here.This will help diagnose and locate this issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete