JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

I have an 04 545i with smg problems. Looking for some help,

Customer Question

Hi, I have an 04 545i with smg problems. Looking for some help
JA: Are you fixing your 545i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I have replaced the ivm module and relay and tried resetting the trans computer. I keep getting codes that come up
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: about 150k. It will start fine if in neutral. It will sometime go into failsafe right away or it won't let me go into drive or reverse, or even neutral if starts off in gear
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have the codes that have come back up after clearing them ok can you tell me how the pricing works?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

what are the codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
4f74
4fb4
4f75
4ef4
Right now it seems to work but will randomly failsafe and get 1 or more of these codes
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also the scanner im using says hydraulic pump pressure is 43.50 bar if that helps. I do hear the pump running when u unlock the car
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 3 months ago.
Hi there, do you still need assistance? If so can you provide the last 7 digits of the VIN of the vehicle? Thanks, JP
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, yes thank you! The last 7 are b088035
What scan tool are you using? What have been performed for recent repairs?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am using a launch scanner.
4f74 gear deselection unintentional
4fb4 control module internal fault
4f75 gear selection not possible
4ef4 shift travel sensorI just bought the car not long ago. The previous owner was told that it needs a new clutch although it doesn't slip or do anything strange when it is running. They also replaced the smg pump hoses
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I forgot to mention that I replaced the e-box fan because it was not working. I replaced the ivm module as well because I thought it could be the problem. When I looked at the circuit board, it seemed to have traces of water damage in the past even though the ebox area was completely dry. Not sure of that makes any difference but I didn't notice any water damage on the trans computer
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 2 months ago.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NB33-USA-03-2004-E60-BMW-545i&diagId=23_1040The clutch position sensor is a common fault on this system. It's item 13 in the diagram. It will trigger the travel sensor fault and have similar symptoms that you describe when failing. The true way to test it is with a bmw scan tool because it can check signal operation of the sensor. That might be worth spending the hour diagnostic charge mist dealers will get you for your have the system tested before throwing the part in. But it is very common of a failure.Hope this helps, please be sure to leave a positive rating, as this is the only way I receive credit for my work and time.Thanks, JP
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the response. I hope that the problem is the clutch position sensor. One question though. The launch scanner will datastream and when i shift into r,n, 1 etc, the launch sees the change in gear and it corresponds to what the position is on the shifter. The weird thing is that the instrument cluster will show it in r even if i shift to neutral or drive. It also has said the car is in neutral but will be in drive.
Last thing is with the key on engine off, the pump runs and it sounds like the trans is shifting gears for about ten seconds and then the pump runs again and so on. The noise sounds just like a manual transmission shifting gears without the motor running. Thats the best way I can describe it. Does this still sound like a faulty cps? I might have to bring it in but if you think these symptoms are in line with the cps, it might be cheaper for me to take a shot on that.