Pedro Goncalves
Pedro Goncalves,
Experience:  Licensed Master/Hybrid Technician at Mendes Motors

I just bought a 1993 740iL. I left the lights on last night

Customer Question

I just bought a 1993 740iL. I left the lights on last night and it wouldn't start this morning. It tried to crank but couldn't. Heard clicking. So, I put the jumper cables on it when I got home today. Nothing. No clicking. No turning over. Nothing. Lights turn on and there is power but won't make a noise when I turn the key? Suggestions!??
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I can turn the wheel and yes the key is a little worn. There is another one. Should I try it?
JA: Are you fixing your 740il yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am. Looked at fuses and none are popped. Saw something on Internet about integrated supply fuse box?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Pedro Goncalves replied 1 month ago.
I would recommend replacing the battery. Some batteries don't like when they are depleted. It's actually one of the most common causes of them going. If you say that with cables the car starts well, I have no doubts it's the battery. You can always take it somewhere to get it tested but I say put the money towards a battery and replace it yourself. Always buy the recommended battery for your vehicle. Important tip. The negative cable is the first one to be removed and the last to be reconnected. I hope I was helpful. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did not say that it started with cables. It doesn't start at all with or without cables. No clicking. Nothing. Lights all still work fine. Just won't turn over now.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I apologize for the misunderstanding. Please confirm if the starter is receiving the signal from the key. Sometimes the solenoid gets stuck and simply needs a small hit. With help, ask someone to be inside the car turning the key to start the vehicle, while hammer bang on the start. Don't hit with the head of the hammer but with the handle and use the head as a grip. The clicking noise you used to hear was the solenoid activating.
with a hammer bang on the starter.