Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

2008 550i - 86k I have replaced the serpentine belt and ac

Customer Question

2008 550i - 86k
I have replaced the serpentine belt and ac belt last week. The idler pulley was on back order so it hasn't been done yet. Coming soon. The car was whistling throughout when I took it to the shop. Now, it just whistles for the first 5-10 minutes of the day and won't do it again until the next morning. I'm hoping the idler pulley takes care of it once it comes in.
Does this sound like the issue? Any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

To answer your question , yes the idler pulley could be making that noise ,especially after changing belts & the noise went down

1-best way is one you changed your belts , you spin all the pulleys by hand and see which one is making noise or feel hard to turn .

2-in the morning it will make noise ,until the bearing inside of it gets hot and the noise goes away .

Let me know if you need anything else on it ,if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I hope it is the pulley. If it is not, what other things could it be?

water pump bearing ,weak belt tensioner ,coolant fluid or oil on belts ,if had a oil leak and leaking on belts .