Kevin, BMW Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician

2008 X5 3.0si coolant level warning went on, said to drive

Customer Question

2008 X5 3.0si coolant level warning went on, said to drive slow - no red warning, it didn't go into "idle mode" the engine just turned off. I recently changed the electric water pump and the thermostat (four weeks back) - thought possibly a loose hose connection was causing fluid to leak. Poured a gallon of distilled water in, went straight to the ground - obviously a connection is loose in one of those lines. HOWEVER since the car never went into "idle mode" as it is supposed to and it will not turn I'm afraid the engine is gone but it seems strange that would be the case considering the safe guard; i.e. idle mode - never happening. I can't get the car up and inspect the line until Thursday (next day I can take time off) but am freaking the f___ out as to how I could have killed the engine in such a short amount of time. Oh yeah, regular roads, not highway speeds. At such a slow speed it seems odd that I could have even warped the head gasket and know very well this seemingly would be something even deeper such as warping the head itself but am still dumbfounded as to how this would happen without the engine going into idle mode and pushing it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Hi im kevin the isdue you have is that it can take a while for the car to pick up on the coolant leak and if you have pockets of air in cooling system the gasket will warp quite quickly and if they arent near temp senso the car will have no idea its occurring .so does engine turn over ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No sir, letting it cool down however so I haven't tried a cold start.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Ok let me know what happens when trying to start

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just did, nothing - however the coolant level light comes on,
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

When you say nothing no click ?doesnt even attemp to turn ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct. I find it odd that I could have frozen/killed it w/o notice etc...however I'm fearing that cold be the case. Again I can't get it up to find whatever connection I may have not tightened enough - although four weeks seems a long time for it to come loose but just the same.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
could be the case... Just hoping there's something along the lines of the "over engineering" aspect here that's happened since, sorry for being redundant - it never went into idle mode...
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Agreed unless youve had a small leak over this period and its just failed .you need to try and turn engine by hand from crankshaft pulley bolt to see if its seized

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok brother, can't even get to that until Thursday morning - booked solid at work tomorrow. I've not noticed any leakage as I have been keeping an eye on it - seems to have happened all at once - like one of the hose connections just came loose.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Ok come back to me once your with car and we will get to the bottom of this

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Talk to ya Thursday then. Have a great night.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

And you

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 month ago.

Please rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all