Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

I am considering purchasing a 2003 base Mini hardtop, 5

Customer Question

I am considering purchasing a 2003 base Mini Cooper hardtop, 5 speed manual with 98,000.00 miles on it. The Carfax is good. However; How long should the motor last? Or am I going to have large expenses to fix things that go wrong? The dealer is asking $5,500.
Is this too high to pay at? should I have a BMW-Mini dealer check it out for major problems that exist now and will need addressing later on. the vehicle is in Phoenix at a used car lot.
It has had 6 owners.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.
Do you know the exact service history?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 month ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

the biggest weak points on these cars were the automatic transmissions (CVT actually) but since this is a manual you are alleviated of that concern.

the next biggest issue is power steering pump failures and power steering pump cooling fan failures. If these items have not been replaced they will need to be soon.

aside form that, at this age/mileage and assuming none of this has yet been done, you can expect to need a full cooling system refresh, new plugs and coils, new o2 sensors and possibly some suspension components.

the motor itself will last to 200k miles + unless something uncommon happens, but the costs I've outlined above will add up.

the price is reasonable.

in terms of having the car looked at prior to purchase, yes, you absolutely must invest in a pre purchase inspection at a MINI dealer or third party specialist shop.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.