Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Neg lead on battery was disconnected, now auto up window

Customer Question

Neg lead on battery was disconnected, now auto up window function doesn't work. I have tried just about every suggestion found on Internet to no avail. 2011 BMW 328i
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I did and everything checked out fine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All found initialization procedures
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Everything work d perfect before battery disconnect. Windows still work up and down, but without auto up I now have to operate the Windows first/separately before putting the top down. The roc endures I have tried generally involve lowering window holding button down for x number of secs....same type procedure for up.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Start with the window up, hold the switch in the first position to roll it down, when it fully opens, push the switch to auto down and hold it for 5 seconds. Then do the same thing when rolling it up.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dan, just tried and it did not work for me, car is running, does that matter?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Should not matter running or not, but make sure the door is closed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yep, door closed, top closed.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Ok I am out of ideas, I will opt out and another expert should be able to help. No need to reply to this as it will lock this question back on to me and others will not be able to view it.