Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

I received the recall about the water pump on 2007S models

Customer Question

I received the recall about the water pump on 2007S models The recall states that the milage cannot be over 80,000 miles, I have 96,000. . I live very far from an Mini dealer. I have not had any overheating or other problems yet. I do not use the Mini as mu primary vehichle and usually stay within this small beach town when i drive it. IShould I wait ? Mechanic has checked thermastat(/), does not see any obvious problems. If car begins overheating and I stop driving it immediately, will I cause damage to it?
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: Vehicle has not overheated. I keep it serviced on a regular basis and am fortunate enough to live next door to an (ASA? -whatever the certification is) mechanic, who regularly fixes the many problems that arise. Frankly, disappointed by lack of quality parts, trim, on a car I believed to be good quality. I am also fairly familiar with the vehichle: grew up with a father that was a Chevy mechanic in New Orleans for 40 years and watched and helped all my life. Fascinated by mechanics and how they have so drASTICALLY CHANGED AND HOW IT IS MORE AND MORE DIFFICULT TO DO WORK WITHOUT USING aUTO zONES TO HELP TROUBLE SHOOT.
JA: What is the model of your '07 BMW?
Customer: Another disappointment- dealer assured us BMW dealerships would work on MINI-COOPERS. I have a 2007S Miniu Cooper.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Have done nothing since there are no problems yet. Concentrating on the horrible task of fixing sunroof because gear to open/close is made of plastic and is slightly stripped. Removing roof lineris a tedious and time consuming job. Know of any way , other than having the gear milled, to et a gear that is not plastic. Exhausted extensive internet search. (No inside knowledge on getting "PREMIUM" parts I guess ?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'm just frustrated and a little disgusted that the manufacturers are using cheap parts that seem meant to fail, hoping customer has to have dealership mechanic fix it, probably to recoup some of the money they are losing on the front end now that buyers are better educated about price of vehichle they are purchasing.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
can you please clarify what your question is?
it appears to be about driving with a bad water pump but you have also raised other things and I am not sure how best to reply. thank you for clarifying
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** was rattling . But decided to let the water pump issue wait. So I switched gears- and got on my tangent about dealerships assuring me that if they sell/service BMWs they also can handle ant issue with Mini-Coopers, which i was told BMW now produces.The motor operates, after watching the You Tube 4 part video on the time consuming process of removing everything before yo can even get to the liner I got disgusted. Not because of the amount of work but because the problem ended up being the CHEAP plastic gear. Have looked all over internet- am I missing a source that produces a decent quality gear? I'm really just venting , I could go down the line and point out so many poorly made parts on Mini Coopers. I really don't expect that you have an answer, a gear that fits perfectly. Like the other bloggers I am disappointed that workmanship is so shoddy and that owners that do want to get quality parts can't. So Steve, doubt you can do anything other than raise this issue to . If the decision makers take the time to read some of the BMW and Mini Cooper blogs they may realize that they are losing returning customers. My brothers Mercedes and my husbands Lexus is so much better produced. Everytime someone compliments the style of the Mini Cooper I don't hesitate to tell them how poorly made it is. Thanks for letting me vent-but I'm just one of many.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In case, you are not referring back to the earlier letter - this is about the sunroof.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately there is no source for just the gear you need. I will note your dissatisfaction. Please take a moment to provide a rating of OK/3stars or higher to complete the exchange.