Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

Have a 1990 BMW 750il. 180k, Bought with no engine

Customer Question

Have a 1990 BMW 750il. 180k, Bought with no engine oil(checked before ride home 95miles) did NOT check trans oil..:( made it 40~ miles before the engine shut off im guessing i rolled in neutral(going highway speed bout 80 down to 65) then turned car on again and it would only putter at about 40. Of course my phone dies and in a horrible lit gas station found out i had no fluid.. Take 7.5 brought 5 (all cash i had left) then tried to go. Well it just sputtered and barely went. I used 1-2-3- manual shifts and it would revs really high and go .. Kinda would get to 65 (just trying to make it home now..) then stall again.. So i turned around and had friend pick me up. Do you think i totally destroyed trans box? Should i replace filter at walmrt parking lot to see if metal inside? Help plz. Only paid 900 for it and can find a new trans for 400 or the rebuild for 250~ just need options before tow,
Also it says inline the trans has 2 dip sticks. For the life of me i only found one... Perhaps it broke off cause a yello one should be easy. I found the hidden black one with the frustration lock on it...:( pain
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
So you drive the car for an extended period with no fluid in the transmission?