Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

1998 BMW 523i Euro Specs. My instrument cluster does not lit

Customer Question

1998 BMW 523i Euro Specs. My instrument cluster does not lit the ABS, ASC lights. I used the scanner and it tells me 3 speed sensors are bad but my tach and speedo works fine. I never seen these light lit, even by turning the ignition key to ON. Will a bad ABS module cause this or is it a cluster problem?
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: lights are not on, they are off at all times
JA: Are you fixing your 323i yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 523i not 323i
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: BMW
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also, the engine light is not lit, it only lights up during self test.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
does not lit, with key ON.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it possible that previous owner disable them to hide problems and sell the car? If so, how can I enable them.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome,
My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.
Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.
This is most likely an abs module issue since you have abs codes. I would send it out for repair
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I cleared the codes and narrow it to one bad speed sensor on front right, I replaced it and code is gone. I still dont have ABS or ASC lights on cluster, are you saying a bad ABS module will cause the lights NOT to light up, no even with ignition key? I will think it should be the other way around and that it will be lit when something is wrong. I also got codes from cluster: 2B,00, BE no found and 2B,00,83 no found, can you tell me what those codes means and also ABS code 40 "long term scatter" what that means. Please dont be vague on your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.