Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.

I have a 2003 BMW 325i which stores OBDII fault code P1500

Customer Question

I have a 2003 BMW 325i which stores OBDII fault code P1500 which according to INPA scanner is BMW code 211. It first shows brake warning ***** *****ght, traction off and EML lights on the dash and if this condition persists it translates into MIL i.e. service engine soon light with P1500/code 211. Every time the MIL shows up, INPA shows the code 211 occurred at exactly N_32 = 1664.00 rpm, MAF_KGH = 92.60 kg/h, PVS_AV = 16.40 Grad TPS and ISAPWM = 81.95%. These conditions don't change at all on any 211 error occurrence.There is a plastic F connector on suction rubber boot that connects fuel filter vacuum line and suction jet pump vacuum line to suction boot.These days I drive this vehicle with suction boot F connector being disconnected from the boot as it reduces the frequency of this error code. If I connect the F connector back then the fault frequency increases and driving becomes a problem because with MIL light and this code 211 on, it reduces the acceleration performance substantially.All the suction boots, ICV, CCV, Throttle body, MAF, fuel pump, fuel filter have been replaced within a month to a year. All the electrical connectors and wires look in reasonable shape.I do see that shadow memory shows BMW error codes 90 (TEG_UP_1), 91(TEG_UP_2), 93(TEG_DOWN_2) and 52(Exhaust Flap) but I believe no one is important because their frequency of occurrence is 0 they don’t concern me.Also when I fill the gas in my car, the gas nozzle shuts off itself sometimes every now and then but not in every fill indicating problem with the fuel tank vapor vent system. So far I am not getting any fuel vent system related P0440 type of fault codes.Any help is appreciated.Thanks.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a master BMW technician, I want to apologize for the slow response time, I am online and ready to try and help you with your BMW.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok but I will be leaving in ten minutes for about half an hour but I can talk to you after I come back.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

The fault code is the IAC (idle air controller). I would inspect both rubber intake elbows from the air box and airflow meter to see if you can see any crack. You may have to use a small mirror and flash light. If you don't see any cracks I would suggest replacing the IAC.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've replaced IAC/ICV three times already with two used and one brand new. The rubber intake boots are roughly a year old. They don't show any hardness/brittleness/cracks. As for the elbow inside the air box, I inspected it last month and it looked fine without any cracks or holes in it.
If the fault is the air leakage, then why would it always prompt with fault code 211 at a fixed engine RPM, same fixed MAF flow and same fixed throttle or TPS threads?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Found a BMW service bulletin

SI B 12 28 05

MY'05 325xiA – DME Fault Code 211

E46 M54; 325xiA produced 09/04 up to 02/05

Customer may complain that intermittently EML, DSC and EGS lights are illuminated while driving. No drivability problems are experienced with the warning lights flashing. The following fault codes are stored in the control modules:

• DME – FC 211; Idle speed control valve stuck open
  • DSC – FC 145; CAN torque reduction
  • EGS – FC 76; Engine does not fulfill torque request.

DME software

On a customer complaint basis only, reprogram DME with CIP 20.0, or higher.

CIP 20.0 is planned for release at the end of December '05.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

The bulletin might not match your vehicle production date, but matches some of the problems you have described. If can double check your production date of the vehicle if you like.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ill work on it tonight and call to see if local BMW could help me with it.
So do u agree that if air/vacuum leakage is the issue then error code 211 every time at exact same vehicle running condition doesn't make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

If you make to sure you don't have any vacuum leaks get a smoke test done. If you can see smoke you have a vacuum leak. You can try to do the smoke test your self with a keep cigar and some rubber tubing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Year ago, I had lean codes P0171, P0174 and they were related to vacuum leaks in these intake boots. At that time I replaced these boots that took care of the those lean codes. I have learnt it from other techs that if you have a vacuum leak on suction side you will get these lean codes. Since I am not getting any lean codes I expect that I had properly fixed the vacuum leak problem a year ago and so I am not sure if testing for vacuum leakages would reveal anything new to me.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was busy but took out time to do smoke test today. My INPA was acting up so there wasn't any way for me to open up the throttle and do the vacuum test of the rest of the engine and not just the suction boots throttle/IAC.Please see the pictures. I ran the smoke test and couldn't find any leakages in the suction boots or joints. I kept the ignition to position # 2 and kept the throttle paddle pressed too but because Its a drive by wire vehicle nothing helped to open up or modulate the throttle. If I could open up the throttle somehow, I could try testing the rest of the engine for vacuum too.1. BMW would charge me to re-flash the ECM with new software upgrade.
2. I've done the smoke test but couldn't find anything.
3. Whats next?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am still waiting for a response.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The online error code description I got from corresponds BMW code 211 with P1510. In my case INPA shows 211 but generic OBDII scanners hooked to my car show P1500 and not P1510. My point is yes my BMW code is 211 but the OBDII or P code is different. The decription for P1500 and P1510 are generally similar but there must be some fine print differences that I do not know because I do not have the explanation of P1500.
Can you please dig little more and give me some explanation especially something that differentiates a P1500 from P1510. That will give some clue to diagnosing the problem.
Here is one clue that I can see. If you read the explanation of P1510 from the link I just mentioned, the last sentence says "tested during closed throttle" and I don't think P1500 is tested during closed throttle, but I may be wrong. In my car the code can pop up anytime as long as the throttle is depressed. If I leave the throttle even if I am doing 100mph there will be no codes. As soon as I hit the throttle and as mentioned earlier if the engine rpm are N_32 = 1664.00 rpm, MAF_KGH = 92.60 kg/h, PVS_AV = 16.40 Grad TPS I may have code. It even mentions the TPS of 16.4 gradians. So to me P1500 and P1510 are different and the cause will also be different. Please see if you can give me some explanation of P1500.