Kenny, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Certifed level 1 Technican

I have a 2007 BMW X5 3.0. It has a parking brake

Customer Question

I have a 2007 BMW X5 3.0. It has a parking brake malfunction. I got the orange tool in the back and put it through the Stainless steel cable in the left side of the trunk area behind the removable panel, pulled up, and it will not release the parking brake.
JA: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?
Customer: The parking brake works off a drum brake behind the rear rotor. I believe the actuator has failed.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I got the orange tool and put through the stainless steel cable loop and pulled up with no parking brake release results.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Can I cut the cable going to both the rear parking brake drums to move car since replacement actuator assembly comes with new cables?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Kenny replied 2 months ago.

The cable in the trunk is the mechanical override, but if that isnt working you can cut the cables going to the wheels. The new unit comes with those cables.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Kenny, I cut the cables and unplugged connector to parking brake actuator. Drove around the block. Parked and locked car. Approx. 15 minutes later, car started beeping. I started car, turned off and locked doors. Still beeping... I hit the alarm button again and it stopped now for approx. an hour. Will it start beeping again later if I leave it alone? Should I hook the connector back up? Just thought it was a good idea to disconnect connector so car does not try and activate parking brake and blow a fuse..... Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I just gotta hit the alarm button twice when out of car, that's okay.... Just looking for some confirmation since I am waiting for part for approx. 2 weeks and will park car at different location from house. Don't wanna drain the battery....... Thanks...
Expert:  Kenny replied 2 months ago.

Glad to hear you got the vehicle mobile again. You can leave the connector connected you will just get a warning saying brake malfunction.

The alarm shouldn't play a role in the alarm system. When you hit the button twice on the fob you are disabling the interior motion sensor. I would suspect an issue with that sensor.

Don't forget to leave positive feedback it is how I am compensated.