Jason, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Tech at BMW

I added about a 1/4 cup of Synthetic Motor Oil in error in

Customer Question

I added about a 1/4 cup of Synthetic Motor Oil in error in the ATF oil only ... I understand this is the power steering fluid.... the vehicle is an old BMW 2004 x3 2.5
Category: BMW
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

Adding engine oil to the transmission can cause damage to the seals in the transmission. You going to need to have the transmission flushed and right away. I would not even start the car and have it towed to a shop that can perform a complete system flush with a transmission flush machine for you and then add new fluid to avoid any damage to the seals.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a master BMW and MINI technician, from what Ive read you added 1/4 cup engine oil to the power steering system. If thats is the case I would suggest you flush the power steering system with the correct fluid. The small amount of oil should be ok in the system until you can get it flushed.