Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

When i attempt to shift the vehicle into gear, I have to

Customer Question

When i attempt to shift the vehicle into gear, I have to move the lever to shift into drive a few to many times to get it to finally shift into drive. I have read several threads about replacing the mechatronic unit inside the trans pan. Does this seem like the correct fix for my symptom? also if i install this unit myself, will it have to be programmed/coded to work properly?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

I will provide an honest answer. I trust this will be appreciated. Please remember that a low rating PUNISHES me for being honest and that I receive nothing for my time until a positive rating is clicked.

Thank you for your attention to the rating requirement.

.

the mechatronics could do this, yes, but it could also be low fluid, an internal fluid leak or even an issue with the shifter.

.

if you replace the unit it should be updated, yes.
.
Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

when the problem first started it was very intermittent, then it began to happen more frequently, then i had to start pressing the shift lever multiple times to make it shift. This only applies going into drive, not reverse. Does this help to narrow down my problem or is there anything else i can do to help narrow it down?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

unfortunately this does not narrow down the issue. to further narrow it down you would need to invest in a proper diagnostic with a factory BMW scan tool at a dealer or properly equipped BMW specialist shop. unfortunately such equipment is required to diagnose an issue like this. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you.