peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.

I have been driving my X5 with a broken parking break for

Customer Question

Hi Roger, I have been driving my X5 with a broken parking break for some time, no problems (Had to release the parking brake when it first happened in the rear using the red tool). Today, I pulled up, parked at the store, and when I got in the parking break error appeared, foot brake locked, and transmission was locked too.
JA: Have you tried pumping the regular brake a few times?
Customer: Tried pumping a few times, no good.
JA: What year is your X5?
Customer: 08
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'd like to get it unlocked as the car wont start, but has full electronics and battery by th looks of it. and drive it to the shop
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have set the quarter turn on the transmission release in the cup holder, than and releasing the parking brake open up the tranny to move it up and down but it continues to set back into a lock and not movable.
Category: BMW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It sounds like the component(s) at fault for the parking brake that were broken or damaged previously may not be disabling the starting and operation of this here.If you can I would have this repaired to see if this resolves all of the issues here to correct this fault.Unfortunately myself I do not see a way to bypass this without having it repaired to correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete