Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I have a 1997 540i that i removed the manifold from so i

Customer Question

Hi guys i have a 1997 540i that i removed the manifold from so i could repair the leaking crank vent tube. After reassembling the engine would not restart. After a search around i took the fuel lines of to check pump to check if we had pressure an after a few wiring changes the motor now runs. Now the gearbox has only one forward gear reverse is good but the traction control lamp is on and i cant turn it off Yep i did ask for help before but dont no where the reply went also for some reason I couldnt add my mobile number as i couldnt enter the last number my number is *****
Category: BMW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting a reply ASAP

was the transmission had all the gears prior to intake manifold repair ?

have you inspected the transmission module connector ?

do you have any diagnostics scan tools we can use on the car ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hey Chad the car was fine had all gears engine was running good The steel clip that holds the vent tube in place was missing which allowed the tube to slide of causing a vacumm leak an missing. I dont have a scan tool and dont no where the transmission module connector is to be found

OK NO PROBLEM

this is the location of the module

it will be passenger side under the hood close to the fir wall , the plastic cover has to be removed to access it

also that is the harness connector at the transmission , take it out and inspected for oil or corrosion , clean it with contact cleaner and reinstall or repair if necessary

Please let me know if that works for you

Thank You

Chad Farhat

do this harness connector check at transmission first before the module .

Chad

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thanks chad ill try these then get back to you cheers

sounds good let me know ,just reply back here and be happy to help you

i m online from 10 am till 12 pm daily

Let me know if you need anything else on it

Hope I was helpful to you &

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat